The NAND and NOR gate are called to be universal gate because these are sufficient to implement any Boolean function.
(a) NAND and NOR can do function of NOT, AND and OR gate.
- A NOT operation is obtained from a one-input NAND gate. Thus we find that a single-input NAND gate behaves as inverter.
- The AND operation requires two NAND gates. The first one produces the inverted AND and the second one being a single input NAND gate, acts as an inverter to obtain the normal AND output.
- The OR operation, the normal input A and B are first complimented using two single input NAND gates. Now the complemented variables are fed as input to another NAND gate which produces the normal ORed output.
(b) Universal NOR gate:
- The NOT operation is obtained from a one-input NOR gate, thus, a single input NOR gate is yet another inverter circuit.
- The AND operation is achieved through a NOR gate with additional inverters in each input.
- The OR operation requires two NOR gates. The first one produces the inverted OR and second one being a single input NOT gate, acts as an inverter to obtain the normal OR output.
- NAND, NOR, EX-OR and EX-NOR Gate The concept of NAND gate, NOR gate, Universal gate, Boolean...
- Logic Gates The gate is an electronic circuit to receive more than...
- Memory Management Memory: It is part of computer which stores data the...
- Object oriented programming Object oriented programming : The main idea behind object oriented...