Octal Number system and their Conversion
The number with base 8 is called octal number. It is represented by Q or O. It was once very popular number system, especially used in the Digital Equipment Corporation PDP/ 8 and other old computers.
It is rarely used today. The octal number system has eight symbols starting from 0 to 7.
Octal to Binary and Binary to Octal Conversion: The three digit format of binary digits is used for octal to binary conversion or vice versa.
(a) Octal to Binary: 3-bits binary numbers are written for each octal digit.
Q. Convert 56 octal into binary.
(56)8 = (101 110 )2
(b) Binary to Octal: The binary numbers are broken into 3-bits sections from LSB to MSB and octal equivalents of each binary section are written.
Q. Convert 10011 into octal number.
010011 = 23
(c) Decimal to Octal: Decimal number is repetitively divided by 8 and remainders are arranged in the form of octal numbers.
Q. Convert 240 decimal into octal.
(240)10 = (360)8
(d) Octal to Decimal: Each octal digit is multiplied by its weighted position. The sum of all products is known as decimal form of octal.
Q. Convert 340 octal into decimal.
(340)8 = 3 X 82 + 4 X 81 + 0 X 80 = (224)10
- Binary to Decimal Conversion Conversion binary to decimal and vice versa: We multiply each...
- Binary and Decimal Number System Decimal Number System: The number of base or radix 10...
- Introduction to Number system This is very interesting question, “What is the number?” The...
- Real Number System. Number is one of the basic concept of mathematics. A...
- Type Conversion In C++ Type Conversion In C++ This process of converting one predefined...