It is a substance which is used to indicate the end point or completion of a reaction by it’s colour change.
Type of Indicators
(A) Redox Indicators: These are used for redox titration.
(B) Acid base Indicators: Here indicate. gives different colours in acidic and basic medium.
HPH gives pink colour in basic medium but it is colourless in acidic medium.
(C) Adsorption Indicators: Here indicator adsorb a particular thing
Starch adsorb iodine in hypo titration case.
D) Tracer or Radio Active Indicators: Some radioactive isotopes are used as such indicators to trace mechanism of some reactions.
E. g. 0-18 photo synthesis
Theory of Indicators: The phenomenon of acid base indicator is explained by following two theories mainly:
(A) Ostwald Theory:
It explains indicator as follows:
- Indicators are weak acids or bases which give different colours in their un-dissociated and dissociated states.
- The colour of indicator changes with a change of concentration or pH value
- Each indicator shows a sharp colour change within a pH range.
(B) Quinoid Theory: According to it (1) Indicator are aromatic compounds having two tautomeric forms i.e., Benzoid (Light colour) and Quinoid (Dark colour)
(2) Within a certain pH—range these forms changes into each other to colour changes.
Choice of Indicators in Various Titrations:
Type of Titration Indicator can be used
(I) Weak acid vs Strong base HPH.
(2) Strong acid vs Weak base MeOH, methyl red
(3) Strong acid vs strong base HPH, MeOH, methyl red
(4) Weak acid vs Weak base No suitable indicator except phenol red
HPH is not a good indicator for weak base titrations while MeOH not for weak acid titrations.
- Concept of Acids and Bases According to Arrhenius, an electrolyte which furnishes hydrogen ions in...
- Buffer solution It is practically observed that when a drop of decinormal...
- Acidic buffer Let an acidic solution be prepared by acetic acid to...
- pH SCALE: (Puissance of Hydrogen) Sorenson (1909) introduced a convenient means of expressing the concentration...
- Henderson’s Equation Henderson derived an equation to calculate the pH value of...