Characterstics and Factors Influencing Equilibrium constant
Characteristics of Equilibrium Constant
1. It has a definite value for every chemical reaction at a given temperature.
2. It is independent of concentrations of the reactants and products.
3. It is not effected by the presence of catalyst.
4. It is a convenient measure of the extent to which the reaction proceeds in a particular direction at a given temperature.
Factors Influencing Equilibrium Constant
1. Stoichiometic representation of reaction: Consider the following reactions:
2. The mode of representing the change: Consider the equilibrium mixture of
3. Temperature: Equilibrium constant changes with temperature as:
Where is change in enthalpy of the reaction, other terms are as usual.
Importance of equilibrium constant:
(i) To find equilibrium concentrations
(ii) To find the measurement of extent of reaction.
Extent of forward reaction
I.e. Higher value of means reaction is going to complete.
(iii) Stability of products
i. e., is more stable then NO here.
- Factors Influencing Rate of Reaction Some important factors which influence the rate of reaction are...
- Chemical Equilibrium Equilibrium exhibits the state of a process at which the...
- Second order Reaction A reaction is said to be the second order if...
- Rate constant or Specific Reaction rate According to collision theory, the rate of the reaction is...
- Rate of reactions The rate (speed or velocity) of the reaction may be...