Applications of Bond Energies
Applications of Bond Energies are listed below:-
1. Determination of enthalpy of reaction
The bond energies can be used for determining enthalpies of reactions for example, we want to determine the enthalpy of the following reaction:
In this reaction a triple bond breaks in acetylene and two H — H bonds break in 4H. In turn, one C C- bond and four C — H bonds are formed in. Therefore
2. Determination of enthalpies of formation of compounds
The bond energies can be used for determining enthalpies of formation of compounds. For example, we want to determine the enthalpy of formation of ethyl alcohol:
The formation of ethyl alcohol involves:
(i) Breaking of 3H-H bonds to give 6H, breaking bf 1/2O-O bond to give O and sublimation of 2 atoms of C(s) to give 2C(g).
(ii) Formation of one C-C bond, five bonds, one C-0 bond and one bond.
3. Determination of resonance energy
Resonance energy is taken to be equal to the difference between the actual bond energy of the molecule and that of the most stable of the resonating structures. Let us determine the resonance energy of benzene.
The dissociation of benzene may be given as:
According to Kekule's structure there are three C-C bonds, three C = C bonds and six C-H bonds in benzene. Therefore dissociation energy of benzene may be given as:
Thus, dissociation energy of benzene is . But experimental value is known to be . Evidently, the resonance energy of benzene is .
- Bond Energy Worksheet Bond energy is used to describe the strenght of a...
- Hess's law of constant heat summation It states that, "The amount of heat evolved or absorbed...
- Hydrogen-bond Hydrogen-Bond [Introduced By Latimer and Rodebush] It may be defined...
- Covalent Bond Covalent bond: Such bonds are formed by mutual sharing of...
- Odd Electron Bond Odd Electron Bond It may be defined as, "The bonds...