Thermodynamics is a subject that deals with various accepts related to heat transformation, work done, radiation and effect on material bodies. It shows how the system changes when they interact with each other or with their surroundings.
The first definition of thermodynamics was introduced by Scottish physicist Lord Kelvin in 1854.
Thermodynamics can be applied on various fields like Science and engineering. There are four laws of thermodynamics.
Here, you can find some questions related to “Thermodynamics” and their answers:
1. The heat of combustion of substance used as a fuel is called its:
(a) Change in internal energy
(b) Enthalpy change
(c) Calorific value
(d) None of these
2. For which of the following reactions, will be equal to
3. In which of the following reactions heat of neutralization has highest numerical value:
(b) NaOH and HCl
4. What would be the heat released when 0.5 mole of nitric acid solution is mixed with 0.2 mole of potassium hydroxide solution:
(a) 11.4 kJ
(b) 22.8 kJ
(c) 285.5 kJ
(d) 57.1 kJ
5. A cylinder of gas is assumed to contain 11.2 kg of butene. If a normal family needs 20000 kJ of energy per day for cooking how long will the cylinder last? (heat of combustion of butane 2658 )
(a) 26 days
(b) 30 days
(c) 13 days
(d) 20 clays
6. Which is spontaneous change:
(a) Flow of heat
(b) Formation of barium sulphate from barium chloride and sodium sulphate (c)
(c) Flow of water
7 In which of the following entropy decreases:
(a) Crystallisation of sucrose from solution
(b) Melting of ice
(c) Vaporization of camphor
(d) Rusting of iron
8. The entropy of vaporisation of liquid is and it boils at 300 K. What is
9. Which of the following is a closed system:
(a) Water being heated in a beaker
(b) Reaction of Zn with dil HCI in a test tube
(c) A sealed bottle containing liquid and it vapours
(d) A tree in the garden
10. Which of the following statements is incorrect:
(a) Heat of reaction at constant volume is represented by
(b) Work done by a system is given a negative sign
(c) Heat of reaction a constant pressure is represented by
(d) Endothermic compound are more stable than exothermic reaction
11. When 1.0 g of methane burns in oxygen 55.6 kJ of heat is produced. Enthalpy of combustion of methane is:
(a) +889.6 kJ
(b) -889 kJ
(c) -55.6 kJ
(d) +55.6 kJ
12. In a chemical reaction,
therefore at this temperature the reaction is:
(d) At equilibrium
13. The heat of combustion of a constant volume is measured in a bomb colorimeter at 298.2 K and is found to be -885389 J / mol. The value of enthalpy change is:
(a) -890.348 kJ
(b) -225 kJ
(c) -450 kJ
(d) -1560.8 kJ
14. In a chemical reaction at 200 K therefore is:
(a) 10 KJ
(b) 200 KJ
(c) 4 KJ
15. Which of the following process is favoured by tendency for minimum energy:
(a) Dissociation of chlorine molecules to chlorine atoms.
(b) The melting of ice
(c) Dissolution of sugar
(d) Condensation of water vapours to liquid state
16. For which of the following substances the enthalpy of formation in the standard state is zero?
(b) Calcium chloride
17. In which of the following pairs do the elements have nearly the same value of bond energy?
18. If the door of a refrigerator is kept open, the room in which the refrigerator is kept:
(a) neither gets cooled nor gets heated
(b) gets heated
(c) gets cooled
(d) gets cooled or heated depending on the initial temperature of the room .
19. In a thermally isolated process:
(a) Q = 0
(c) W = 0
(d) = negative
20. When a compressed gas is allowed to pass through a porous plug at a temperature above its inversion temperature, there is:
(a) neither a fall nor a rise in temperature
(b) a rise in temperature
(c) a fall in temperature first, followed by a rise of the same
(d) a fall in temperature
21. Which of the following expressions is correct?
(d) All of these
22. The standard molar enthalpy of formation of is equal to:
(a) the standard molar enthalpy of combustion of gaseous carbon
(b) the sum of the standard molar enthalpies of formation of CO and
(d) the standard molar enthalpy of combustion of carbon (graphite)
23. Which of the following expressions is correct for an equilibrium reaction?
(d) All of these
24. Which of the following expressions is correct for an ideal gas?
(d) All of these
25. Which of the following is correct for and adiabatic process?
(a) Q = +w
(d) q = 0
1.(c) 2. (b) 3. (b) 4. (a) 5. (a)
6. (a) 7. (a) 8. (b) 9. (c) 10. (d)
11. (b) 12. (c) 13. (a) 14. (c) 15. (d)
16. (c) 17. (b) 18. (b) 19. (a) 20. (b)
21. (d) 22. (d) 23. (d) 24. (d) 25. (d)
- Bond Energy Worksheet Bond energy is used to describe the strenght of a...
- Worksheet on Spontaneous process A process that occurs in a system without giving any...
- Worksheet on Endothermic & Exothermic reaction Reaction releasing energy in the form of heat, light, electricity...
- Worksheet based on Law of Thermodynamics The Law of thermodynamics are used to define fundamental physical...
- Worksheet on Gibb’s Free Energy A thermodynamic potential that measures the process-initiating work obtained from...