Oxidation and Reduction Equation
Example 1. Balance the following equations:
(i) Oxidising agent is
gain of electron = 5
Reducing agent is
Now add on right hand side to balance oxygen atoms and ions on left hand side to balance hydrogen atoms, we get
Reducing agent is
Multiply eq. (II) by 3 and add in eq. (I)
Now balance the eq. (III) for oxygen by adding on right hand side and then add ion on left hand side. We get
Oxidising agent is
Reducing agent is KCl
Multiply eq. (I) by 2 and eq. (II) by 5 and add:
Example 2. Balance the following equations:
Solution: Two half reactions may be:
Multiply eq. (ii) by 2 and on adding in eq. (i) we get:
Example 3. Balance the following equations:
Multiplying eq. (a) by 3 and (b) by 2, and add
Charge -2 +12
Now add on left side to equalize the charge and on right side. We get
In this case C of ion is reduced to CO(change in Ox. No. +4 to +2) and N of ion is oxidised to ion (change in Ox. N0. -5 to -3). Since both oxidation and reduction take place in the same compound hence it is written two times as:
On adding eq. (I) and (II), we get
Now balancing C and N atoms,
Now we can write,
In this case is reduced to , therefore
In carbon atom is oxidised to and (Ox. No. from -2 to +2)
Now multiply eq. (I) by 4 and add in eq. (II)
Since three iodine atoms are in molecule hence on adjusting these atoms.
Since this reaction takes place in alkaline medium hence on balancing charge are added on left side then balance oxygen atoms by adding water molecules, we get
- Oxidation and Reduction worksheet Oxidation is the process of gaining electrons and Reduction is...
- Oxidation Number Change Method Oxidation Number Change Method: Following steps are followed while balancing...
- Concept of Oxidation and Reduction Electronic Concept of Oxidation and Reduction (Modern Concept) The process...
- Oxidation Number Worksheet An oxidation number of an atom is a positive or...
- Oxidation Number Oxidation number (Ox. No.) “It is the number of electrons...